As Navratri comes closer, we have friends and family members who fast for nine long days. Bored with those typically Sabudana recipes and oily fried potato recipes? We bring to you “yummy like mummy” desi recipes which would help you manage the food tantrums of all your family members along with their health. In India we all have heard or regularly used Singhara flour, mostly for fasting recipes. We bring out Singhara Dhokla on this occasion of a healthy Navratri :
2 cups singhara flour(For people who don’t get singhara flour easily can get it from here)
1 cup of roasted peanut powder(coarsely grinded)
2 cups sour buttermilk
1 inch ginger
3-4 green chillies (may vary as per taste)
2 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp cooking soda
salt as per taste
1/2 cup coriander leaves chopped
1/2 cup shredded coconut
- Initially as you get up first mix the buttermilk and shingara flour well, and allow it to rest for about 2-3 hours.
- Then after 2-3 hours mix rest of the ingredients like ginger paste/coarse ground, dry roast peanut powder, green chillies paste, 1tsp cumin seeds, pinch of soda and salt as per taste.
- Now take a flat steel vessel or dhokla maker, coat the vessel with ghee on the inner side to avoid the dhokla to stick to the walls of the vessel.
- Now place a dhokla vessel and allow it to steam for about 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes allow the cooker to cool down, remove the dhokla vessel from the cooker and cut the dhokla as per desired size and shape.
- And here it is your singhara dhokla ready to be served…..wait wait garnishing is equally important. Hence garnish it with chopped coriander leaves and shredded coconut.
Try this recipe and let us know how it turned out to be. For more fasting recipes stay tuned on Desi Foods because we believe “Khana Hamara Sehat Aapki” 🙂
- To make it more yummy, a good tadka(tempering) of cumin seeds can be included on top.
- This dhokla tastes yummy with green chutney(fasting one).
In case if someone is interested in buying a dhokla/idli cooker you can buy it here.
Benefits of this fruit called Singhara or Water Caltrop:
- Good for pregnant ladies.
- Good source of energy.
- Prevents goitre and thyroid problems.
- Cures tonsils.
- Remedy for cracked heels and lips.